Dental Crowns in Erin Mills, Oakville & Mississauga
What is a crown?
A crown is a “cap” that covers a compromised tooth. Crowns are used to improve the structure or appearance of a natural tooth, or to provide support for the attachment of a bridge.
When is a crown needed?
- Large filling – when a tooth has a large filling due to a cavity or fracture that involves half of the width of the tooth or more. This is because the remaining tooth around the large filling is so weak, it is prone to fracture.
- Root canal – a root canal treated tooth becomes very fragile and tends to crack. Therefore, a crown is recommended to prevent it from fracturing.
- Broken teeth – due to trauma or large existing fillings.
- Excessive wear of teeth – due to grinding habits or acid erosion – from diet or medical gastro-intestinal problems.
- Undesirable appearance of teeth due to colour, shape, or spaces between teeth – crowns will make these teeth look natural and beautiful again.
- To restore dental implants
How is the treatment performed?
- We’ll schedule several essential appointments for you beginning with an exam, review of your dental history and x-rays.
- We’ll prepare your tooth or teeth for the crown(s) and take an impression of the area involved.
- Impression will then be sent to a dental lab to custom make your crown.
- We’ll fit and cement the final crown and make any necessary adjustments.
Care for your crown
Treat your new crown as you would other teeth. Brush twice a day, floss once daily and keep regular dental care appointments. Avoid sticky foods like caramels, gum, and taffy, as well as crunchy foods like hard candy and don’t chew ice. Remember it’s essential to clean around crowns to maintain good oral hygiene and protect your investment.
Is this treatment right for me?
Do you think you might need a dental crown? Schedule a consultation with Dr. Doan Dentistry at your convenience. Proudly serving patients across Mississauga, Erin Mills, and Oakville.